Why is the Page title so important?
Because the Title appears:
- Shown in the very top line of a browser window, in the URL box, immediately below the top border
- In Search Engine results
- Usually in the top line or tab of your HTML editors design window.
- The title element is required in all HTML & XHTML files.
- Usually used when a page is added to favourites
What should the Page title contain?
- The page title is a very short description of the page contents
- It should contain some of the pages keywords the most important first.
- Only one Title tag per page is allowed
- Do not confuse with the title attribute, which you can have several.
- Do not duplicate the same title on different pages. Each Title element on the site MUST be unique
Page Title length
- The ideal length should be 50-60 characters including spaces
- Maximum length 70 characters
- Long title lengths are truncated by the browser & search engines.
Location of the Page title
The page title is located in the head section of your page, usually near the top
- Meta tags for keywords & description
- CSS style links and / or page styling rules
Page title Example
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
<title>Place your Page Title here</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="Your list of keywords">
<meta name="description" content="Your page description, usually similar to the Page Title, but with a longer descriptions">
<link href="your-style-sheet-name.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
Entering the Page Title
Enter the title in the Title text box in the Document window toolbar
Enter the title via Format > Page title & properties